Home News Fixtures Tables Squad Commercial Info History Shop Under 20s
Saturday 24th April v. Coleraine (home) - Danske Bank Premiership - k.o: 3:00pm


Uploaded Tuesday, 10th Nov, 2020 at 23:15

Date: Tuesday, 10th November, 2020; Competition: Danske Bank Premiership; Attendance: 600;
Ballymena United [0] [0]
Glenavon [1] [2]
Venue: Ballymena Showgrounds; Kick-Off: 19:45;
Referee: Jamie Robinson; Assistant 1: Andrew Nethery; Assistant 2: John Doherty; 4th Official: Declan Hassan;
[0-1] FITZPATRICK, Matthew (13 mins), [0-2] MOORHOUSE, Greg (90 mins)

BALLYMENA United suffered their fourth straight league defeat after a 2-0 loss at home to Glenavon on Tuesday night.
United made one change from Saturday for the first midweek game of the season, with a switch in goal as Jordan Williamson replaced Ross Glendinning.
The opening few minutes were at best scrappy with both sides struggling to keep the ball, but it was Glenavon who found their stride quicker and they took the lead on 13 minutes. In no time at all from a throw in the visitors had the ball in the box and a tidy one-two between Peter Campbell and Matthew Fitzpatrick ended with the latter tucking the ball away from six yards out.
It would've been 2-0 two minutes later but for the heroics of Williamson. First the 'keeper denied Fitzpatrick, with the rebound falling to Daniel Purkis, but he was denied by a stunning reaction save.
It took 19 minutes for the hosts to cause Glenavon any real concern, but the first real well crafted Sky Blue attack ended with Jude Winchester showing some tidy footwork on the edge of the box before firing over.
As the half moved on Ballymena were able to wrestle back a good deal of the possession, but created little with it. However they almost equalised when a Trai Hume cross took a huge deflection and forced Jonny Tuffey to block the ball on the line with his shins. Towards the end of the half a neat flick on by Leroy Millar in the box found Winchester who was denied from close range by a timely defensive clearance, before Ciaran Kelly narrowly missed connecting with a header from the corner, as a half bereathed of chances and real quality ended 0-1.
Joe McCready replaced Ryan Waide at half-time for the Braidmen to offer a shake up of the forward line, but within two minutes it was The Lurgan Blues with a good chance when Conor McCloskey had players lining up at the back post for his cross, but Robert Garrett miscued his shot.
Arguably Ballymena's best chance of the game fell on the hour mark when good play from Shay McCartan saw him win a free kick right on the edge of the box. McCartan took it himself, but could only fire narrowly over.
Following that chance Glenavon began to apply pressure on United and Williamson was called into action to deny Fitzpatrick once and Purkis twice inside six minutes. In the final 15 minutes The Sky Blues upped it for the first time in the half, but again caused Tuffey little cause for concern, bar the 'keeper have to parry over a cross/shot from Millar.
The final 5 minutes saw a string of United corners that came to very little, mainly down to good defending from the away side, and in three minutes of added on time Glenavon sealed their first win of the season with a second. A clearance from halfway by McCloskey fell to sub Greg Moorhouse who managed to stay onside and with only Williamson to beat he easily slotted home the visitor's second.
Ballymena United host Warrenpoint Town in the Danske Bank Premiership on Saturday 21st November, kicking off at 3:00pm.
Match Report by Phillip McPeake
Ballymena United Team:
Jordan Williamson, Trai Hume, Jonathan Addis, Ciaran Kelly, Ross Redman ( Josh Kelly 65), Ryan Harpur ( 34 Tony Kane 81), Leroy Millar, Jude Winchester, Paul McElroy, Shay McCartan, Ryan Waide ( Joseph McCready 46).

Subs not used: Ross Glendinning, Kofi Balmer, Kenneth Kane, Jim Ervin.