Home News Fixtures Tables Squad Commercial Info History Shop Under 20s
To Be Confirmed

Ballymena United and Puma Teamwear announce new partnership

Uploaded Saturday, 1st Sep, 2018 at 17:09

Date: Saturday, 1st September, 2018; Competition: Danske Bank Premiership; Attendance: 214;
Warrenpoint Town [0] [1]
Ballymena United [4] [6]
Venue: Milltown Playing Fields; Kick-Off: 15:00;
Referee: Tony Clarke; Assistant 1: Ryan Kelsey; Assistant 2: Adrian Sobieski; 4th Official: Ben McMaster;
[0-1] ADDIS, Jonathan (9 mins), [0-2] KNOWLES, James (pen 17 mins), [0-3] McCULLOUGH, Steven (26 mins), [0-4] GLENDINNING, Reece (41 mins), [1-4] O'SULLIVAN, Alan (51 mins), [1-5] FRIEL, Cathair (67 mins), [1-6] MAYSE, Ryan (69 mins)

SIX goals from six different players secured a superb win over Warrenpoint Town at Milltown Playing Fields on Saturday afternoon.
Within moments of the game kicking off Cathair Friel went close with a cross, followed by Jim Ervin making a great tackle to prevent a chance for the home side.
The opening goal came before the 10 minute mark, Jonathan Addis heading a James Knowles cross past the stranded Turker. It wasn't long before the second came, referee Tony Clarke pointing to the spot when Anton Reilly fouled Jude Winchester in the box and James Knowles stepping up to slot past the 'point keeper.
With 24 minutes on the clock Willie Faulkner had to come on to replace the injured Shane McGinty, and with his first touch managed to hit the post.
Steven McCullough grabbed a third goal for the visitors in the 26th minute, firing a curling effort in with his right foot.
As half time approached, Steven McCullough grazed the post with a long range effort, but five minutes later Reece Glendinning, unmarked in the box, slotted the ball in at the back post to make it 4-0.
It was a slow start to the second half for United, and the home side took full advantage when Alan O'Sullivan fired past Ross Glendinning to give Warrenpoint a bit of hope.
As the half went on, Ballymena started getting a grip on the game, without creating many chances. Just after the hour mark manager David Jeffrey made another change, bringing on Leroy Millar to replace Jude Winchester.
The change seemed to work as a lovely pass from Millar made its way to Friel who found the corner of the net and restored the 4 goal lead.
Two minutes later Ryan Mayse sent a long ball over the top to Friel who returned the favour with a telling pass across the box to Mayse who added a sixth goal.
With 15 minutes left in the game, Mayse was brought off to be replaced by Adam Lecky. The game petered out towards the end but it was a fantastic display by United and a well deserved victory on the road.
United have a break until Wednesday 19th September, when they travel to Dixon Park to face Harland & Wolff Welders in the first round of the Toals Co Antrim Shield, kicking off at 7:45pm.
Match Report by Paul Irwin
Ballymena United Team:
Ross Glendinning, Jonathan Addis ( 30), Ryan Mayse ( Adam Lecky 74), Shane McGinty ( Willie Faulkner 23), Cathair Friel, James Knowles, Steven McCullough, Kofi Balmer, Jude Winchester ( Leroy Millar 64), Jim Ervin, Reece Glendinning.

Subs not used: Thomas McDermott, Tony Kane, Scot Whiteside, Andrew McGrory.