Home News Fixtures Tables Squad Commercial Info History Shop Under 20s
Saturday 23rd February v. Linfield (away) - Danske Bank Premiership - k.o: 3:00pm

Uploaded Wednesday, 7th Mar, 2018 at 00:06

Date: Tuesday, 6th March, 2018; Competition: Danske Bank Premiership; Attendance: 483;
Dungannon Swifts [1] [2]
Ballymena United [2] [3]
Venue: Stangmore Park; Kick-Off: 20:00;
Referee: Tony Clarke; Assistant 1: Paul Robinson; Assistant 2: Ryan Kelsey; 4th Official: Raymond Hetherington;
[0-1] McMURRAY, Johnny (14 mins), [1-1] HUGHES, Daniel (15 mins), [1-2] KANE, Tony (25 mins), [1-3] MILLAR, Leroy (54 mins), [2-3] HUGHES, Daniel (57 mins)

BALLYMENA United secured a rare victory on the road against Dungannon Swifts to keep hopes of a top six finish alive on Tuesday night.
The Sky Blues were without away victory since September going into this rematch of the BetMcLean Cup final at Stangmore. Jonathan McMurray returned to the side following injury and there was a first competitive start for full-back Conor Quigley since joining from Dundee in the January transfer window.
After just 13 minutes the visitors took the lead following a superb through ball from Tony Kane was expertly controlled and finished by McMurray. The striker drilling a low shot past Andy Coleman in the Dungannon goal for his eighth goal of the season.
The lead lasted only a minute as the Swifts struck back in bizarre circumstances, Daniel Hughes catching Ross Glendinning flat footed with an audacious chip which nestled into the far corner for the equaliser.
On 24 minutes, Ballymena United regained their lead through Tony Kane. Following Dougie Wilson's edge of the box foul on Conor McCloskey, it was Kane who stepped up to fire home his seventh of the current campaign.
United held their lead going into the break, with both teams cancelling the other out in an entertaining half of football under the floodlights of the rain soaked County Tyrone venue.
With 54 minutes gone, United extended their lead with a third goal. Tony Kane again the provider as his cross from the right was met by the unmarked Leroy Millar who coolly directed his header out of Coleman's reach to put the Sky Blues in control of the game.
Much like the first half, Rodney McAree's side struck back shortly afterwards Ryan Harpur's deep free-kick wasn't dealt with by the Ballymena defence with Seanan Clucas finding space to pick out a ball across goal for Hughes to score his second of the game and reduce the deficit for the home.
On the hour, the full blooded encounter turned nasty as Paul McElroy was shown red for kicking out at former Swifts' defender Andrew Burns after the latter's late challenge. The Swifts rallied with ten men, but couldn't find an equaliser as David Jeffrey's side secured an important 3-2 victory which reduces the gap to sixth place Glentoran to just five points with two games in hand on the East Belfast side.
"Danske Day"
Join us as the NI Football League and Ballymena United celebrate exciting and affordable football on your doorstep with the first ever 'Danske Day', this Saturday against rivals Coleraine.
Come along and support YOUR team!
Click Above Image To Visit Site
Ballymena United host derby rivals on the first ever "Danske Day" on Saturday, kicking off at 3:00pm. Click image above for details.
Match Report by Phillip McPeake
Ballymena United Team:
Ross Glendinning, Tony Kane ( 56), Kyle Owens, Cathair Friel, Conor McCloskey ( Joe McKinney 90), Andrew Burns ( 60), Jim Ervin, Steven McCullough, Leroy Millar, Johnny McMurray ( Matthew Shevlin 71), Conor Quigley.

Subs not used: Willie Faulkner, Patrick Weir, Fra McCaffrey.