Home News Fixtures Tables Squad Commercial Info History Shop Under 20s
Saturday 27th April v. Crusaders (home) - Danske Bank Premiership - k.o: 3:00pm

Uploaded Saturday, 28th Oct, 2017 at 20:04

Date: Saturday, 28th October, 2017; Competition: Danske Bank Premiership; Attendance: 771;
Ballymena United [1] [3]
Warrenpoint Town [2] [3]
Venue: Ballymena Showgrounds; Kick-Off: 15:00;
[1-0] FRIEL, Cathair (3 mins), [1-1] FORDE, Lorcan (8 mins), [1-2] McMENAMIN, Conor (13 mins), [2-2] McCLOSKEY, Conor (53 mins), [2-3] FORDE, Lorcan (82 mins), [3-3] SHEVLIN, Matthew (89 mins)

A LATE Matthew Shevlin goal saw Ballymena United snatch a 3-3 draw with Warrenpoint Town at the Showgrounds.
Ex-United man Matthew Tipton brought his Warrenpoint side to Ballymena in a game which saw both an exciting start and conclusion. Ballymena took the lead after just 3 minutes, with Cathair Friel netting his 8th of the season. In blustery conditions, a long throw in from Conor McCloskey was flicked on by Johnny Flynn to Friel, who hooked the ball home from close range.
The lead lasted all of 5 minutes. Emmett Friars did well to clear a dangerous ball from Conor McMenamin but from the resulting corner Lorcan Forde headed home, despite McCloskey's best efforts on the line. On 13 minutes Warrenpoint turned the game around by taking the lead. The visitors won a free kick on the right hand side of the box. McMenamin stepped up and his free kick missed everyone in the box and went straight in past Ross Glendinning.
Just 3 minutes after falling behind United almost immediately levelled. A cross from Joe McKinney was poorly defended and the ball dropped to Johnny McMurray who set himself before rattling the crossbar. Leroy Millar went close, having a header saved easily by Beerat Turker, but the next meaningful chance fell to The Point on 25 minutes. Glendinning made a wonderful point blank save to deny former United man Alan Davidson and the rebound was drilled wide by Darren Murray.
The remainder of the half was an extremely frustrating 15 minutes for The Sky Blues, with plenty of possession but numerous misplaced passes and crosses. Friars had two chances from Steven McCullough free kicks. First up Friars was totally unmarked in the box, but off-balance, headed wide. Then, at the end of the half, Friars again headed wide when it was possibly easier to head across goal, as Warrenpoint took the lead into the break.
Ballymena came out with a bit more purpose at the start of the second half. Gary Thompson had time to shoot on the edge of the box, but his low shot was easily gathered by Turker. With 53 minutes on the clock United levelled. Substitute Willie Faulkner split The Point's defence with a fantastic long range ball for McCloskey who went through one on one, and even despite an awkward bounce McCloskey found the net via the post.
Shortly after Faulkner was involved again, this time teeing up Millar, but his attempt was straight at Turker. On 66 minutes Ballymena had a big chance to regain the lead. A misplaced pass at the back from another former Sky Blue, Danny Wallace, found Friel who played in McMurray, but his shot was well blocked by Conall McGrandles as the ball went agonisingly wide of the post.
With United continuing to push for a third goal, McMurray went close again. A nice passing move from the home side ended with McCloskey crossing for the striker, but his shot went into the side netting. However, the visitors weren't finished themselves and Martin Murray got the better of Flynn in the air, only to head straight at Glendinning. With 10 minutes left a fantastic save from Glendinning stopped Warrenpoint retaking the lead. A counter attack eventually saw Darren Murray find Davidson and his shot looked destined for the bottom corner before Glendinning brilliantly tipped it round the post.
2 minutes the visitors did take the lead for the second time in the game. A questionable free kick was flagged up by the linesman and McMenamin's dangerous ball was met by the onrushing Forde at the back post who slammed home his second of the game. David Jeffrey turned to the bench to try and find an equaliser and brought on Shevlin and Andrew Burns.
And with just 1 minute left it was Shevlin who found that equaliser. A cross from McCloskey fell nicely at the feet of Shevlin and from close range the sub buried the ball in the bottom corner. Inside 3 minutes of added time United desperately looked for a dramatic and much needed winner but couldn't create that final chance as the game finished 3-3 to end another disappointing day for The Sky Blues.
Ballymena United visit The Oval on Monday 6th November to face Glentoran, the game being broadcast live on Sky Sports, kicking off at 7:45pm.
Match Report by Phillip McPeake
Ballymena United Team:
Ross Glendinning, Emmet Friars ( 12 Andrew Burns 88), Johnny Flynn, Gary Thompson, Cathair Friel, Conor McCloskey ( 62), Jim Ervin, Steven McCullough ( Matthew Shevlin 84), Leroy Millar, Joe McKinney ( Willie Faulkner 46), Johnny McMurray.

Subs not used: Tony Kane, Fra McCaffrey.