Home News Fixtures Tables Squad Commercial Info History Shop Under 20s
Saturday 26th January v. Ards (home) - Danske Bank Premiership - k.o: 3:00pm

Uploaded Saturday, 17th Jun, 2017 at 20:47

Date: Saturday, 17th June, 2017; Competition: Friendly; Attendance: N/A;
Ballymena United [0] [0]
Connah's Quay [0] [0]
Venue: Dixon Park; Kick-Off: 15:10;

BALLYMENA United and Connah's Quay Nomads played out a scoreless draw in a tight encounter at Dixon Park this afternoon.
The captains and officials before the game
Click Above Image To View Full Size
Ballymena United line up before the game
Click Above Image To View Full Size
Connah's Quay line up before the game
Click Above Image To View Full Size
Most the early action took place in the middle of the park, with both sides trying hard to hold possession and dominate the game. The first real chance fell to Kevin Braniff in the 12th minute, but he fired a free kick over the bar. Minutes later Conon McCloskey sent a long range effort towards goal, but Nomads' keeper John Danby was more than equal to it. Up stepped Jim Ervin with a stunning 25 yard volley, but it crept over the bar. As Ballymena kept the pressure up, an attempted cross into the box was headed away by Mike Pearson, then Leroy Millar forced an excellent low save from Danby.
Leroy Millar in action
Click Above Image To View Full Size
Shortly before half-time Cathair Friel attempted to head in the box, but was ruled offside.
Cathair Friel in action
Click Above Image To View Full Size
The break seen assistant manager Bryan McLoughlin making his first change of the game, bringing on Tim Allen to replace Ross Glendinning in nets. 4 minutes into the half and Kyle Owens was taken down and had to receive treatment but he was ok to continue. The visitors came out of the blocks fast in the second half, and United were under severe pressure at times, Tim Allen having to make a fine save to prevent a sure goal on 57 minutes.
Some fine saves were needed to keep the visitors at bay
Click Above Image To View Full Size
Almost immediately Kofi Balmer and Caolan Loughran came on to replace Kyle Owens and Conor McCloskey. 10 minutes later McLoughlin made more changes, bringing on Matthew Shevlin and Neil Lowry for Friel and McKinney. Minutes after coming on Neil Lowry took a shot with an ambitious half volley but it went wide of the post. In the 77th minute Joe McKinney, who had earlier been taken off, came back on to replace Leroy Millar and Cathair Friel also made another appearance, taking over from Caolan Loughran.
The final minutes of the game seen a Nomads' shot blocked then, at the other end, Steven McCullough dragged his effort wide.
Steven McCullough in action
Click Above Image To View Full Size
It was a good test for United before their upcoming Europe League games, and will have given the management team plenty of food for thought going into the Europa League games.
Bryan McLoughlin embraces Nomads' manager Andy Morrison
Click Above Image To View Full Size
We thanks our hosts for the day Ballyclare Comrades, and extend our best wishes to Connah's Quay Nomads in both the Europa League and the Dafabet Welsh Premier League next season.
Our next game will be in the Europa League First Qualifying Round. As soon as the draw has been made we'll put the details online.
Match Report by Paul Irwin
Ballymena United Team:
Ross Glendinning ( Tim Allen 46), Jim Ervin, Emmet Friars, Kyle Owens ( Caolan Loughran 57 Cathair Friel 81), Johnny Flynn, Leroy Millar ( Joe McKinney 77), Steven McCullough, Joe McKinney ( Neil Lowry 67), Cathair Friel ( Matthew Shevlin 67), Kevin Braniff, Conor McCloskey ( Kofi Balmer 57).