Home News Fixtures Tables Squad Commercial Info History Shop Under 20s
Saturday 7th July v. HW Welders (away) - Friendly - k.o: TBC

Uploaded Tuesday, 25th Oct, 2016 at 23:03

Date: Tuesday, 25th October, 2016; Competition: Toals Co Antrim Shield - Quarter-Final; Attendance: N/A;
Ballymena United [0] [1]
Ards [1] [2]
Venue: Ballymena Showgrounds; Kick-Off: 19:45;
Referee: Andrew Davey; Assistant 1: Stephen Bell; Assistant 2: Ken Ross; 4th Official: Evan Boyce;
[0-1] McKINNEY, Joe (28 mins), [0-2] McKINNEY, Joe (57 mins), [1-2] JENKINS, Allan (89 mins)

BALLYMENA United were knocked out of the Toals Co Antrim Shield at the quarter-final stage by Ards tonight.
The captains and officials before the game
Click Above Image To View Full Size
United started on the front foot and forced Micheal Ruddy to head clear off the line from a Tony Kane free kick in the 2nd minute. Ards had a chance a few minutes later as Ross Glendinning had to be alert to turn away an effort from Joe McKinney. The resulting corner was sent into the box, but Emmett Friars headed over. On 16 minutes Kyle Owens was almost caught out after a short back pass, but Glendinning was off his line quickly to clear.
Ards were a step ahead of United for much of the game
Click Above Image To View Full Size
With 18 minutes on the clock Stephen McBride took aim with a left footed volley from the edge of the box and it was turned out for a corner.
Stephen McBride in action against Ards
Click Above Image To View Full Size
Aaron Hogg made a fantastic save to tip the header from the corner over the bar. Moments later United had the clear their lines at the back after a goal mouth scramble. Ards went ahead just before the half hour mark as McKinney cut inside and fired past Glendinning. Glendinning was forced into another good save on 33 minutes, stopping at point blank at the near post. As United tried to get a foothold of the game, they managed to force a corner in the 38th minute, but it came to nothing. Minutes later Cathair Friel took a shot which went straight at Hogg when crossing looked the better option.
Allan Jenkins and Gary Liggett battle for the ball
Click Above Image To View Full Size
8 minutes into the second half Stuart McMullan walked straight through the United defence but shot just over the bar. The home side were getting a good share of the possession but were struggling to break down Ards, Friel was sent down the right and crossed to Tony Kane who headed straight at the keeper. Almost immediately at the other end Glendinning and Caolan Loughran couldn't decide whose ball it was, allowing McKinney to grab his second goal of the game.
David Jeffrey with his head in his hands after Ards' second goal
Click Above Image To View Full Size
As Ards continued to attack, Stephen McBride was forced to clear when ex-United player Gary Liggett looked certain to score. Just after the hour mark Neil Lowry won a corner, but Tony Kane floated it straight to the keeper. A minute later Ards carved the defence open again but this time Jim Ervin was on hand to clear, before substitute Jamie Douglas fired just over the bar. On 67 minutes Willie Faulkner was put through on goal but could only shoot wide while he was being pressured by the visitors defence.
As the game entered the last 15 minutes Friel seen has cross easily gathered by Hogg. With just 8 minutes left United won another corner, but again Ards' keeper Hogg was equal to the cross. As the minutes ticked away Tony Kane shot straight at the keeper before the Sky Blues finally registered a goal, some good work from Conor McCloskey leading to a chance for Allan Jenkins who fired home.
With only two minutes of injury time left, United won another corner but once again it went straight to Aaron Hogg in the Ards goal. After a good start to the game, it was a case of too little, too late, and the visitors went away with a thoroughly deserved win.
Ards manager Niall Currie was delighted with the result
Click Above Image To View Full Size
Ballymena United get back to Danske Bank Premiership action as they host Ballinamallard United at the Showgrounds on Saturday, kicking off at 3pm.
Match Report by Paul Irwin
Ballymena United Team:
Ross Glendinning, Tony Kane, Stephen McBride ( Eoin Kane 67), Kyle Owens ( 7), Allan Jenkins, Conor McCloskey, Willie Faulkner, Cathair Friel, Neil Lowry ( Darren Henderson 67), Jim Ervin, Caolan Loughran.

Subs not used: Ben McCauley, Johnny Flynn, Daniel Wallace.