Home News Fixtures Tables Squad Commercial Info History Shop Under 20s
To Be Confirmed

Uploaded Saturday, 22nd Oct, 2016 at 20:11

Date: Saturday, 22nd October, 2016; Competition: Danske Bank Premiership; Attendance: 1088;
Glenavon [3] [5]
Ballymena United [0] [0]
Venue: Mourneview Park; Kick-Off: 15:00;
Referee: Raymond Crangle; Assistant 1: Gareth Eakin; Assistant 2: Paul Berry; 4th Official: Tony Clarke;
[1-0] BRADLEY, Eoin (7 mins), [2-0] MARTYN, Ciaran (22 mins), [3-0] ERVIN, Jim og (29 mins), [4-0] BRADLEY, Eoin (80 mins), [5-0] MOORHOUSE, Greg (87 mins)

GLENAVON ran out victors at Mourneview Park today, ending the 10-game unbeaten run of Ballymena United.
Glenavon dominated play for the majority of the first half as United found chances few and far between, in a heated first half in which Caolan Loughran went down early after an off the ball incident involving Eoin Bradley, who was lucky to go unpunished. It was Bradley who opened the scoring on 7 minutes when he stepped up and converted a free kick from just outside the box after a foul by Kyle Owens. The strike went into Ben McCauley's top corner, leaving the goalkeeper little chance of saving it.
Ballymena's first chance came when Johnny McMurray did well to fire a low ball into the box, but a vital interception by Simon Kelly stopped Cathair Friel from tapping the ball home.
Johnny McMurray created United's first chance
Click Above Image To View Full Size
Glenavon doubled their advantage after 21 minutes through Ciaran Martyn. a quick throw in caught United out of position and Bradley was able to lift the ball to the head of Martyn, who head home completely unmarked. United probed for a way back into the game as McMurray had an effort cleared off the line.
A way back into the game became even harder for Ballymena when Glenavon scored a third on 30 minutes. Andy Hall made a good run down the wing and his pacey cross was turned into his own net by a hapless Jim Ervin. Arguably United's best chance of the half fell to Friel on 43 minutes when he found himself unmarked in the box, but he was denied by a good save by Jonny Tuffey. At the other end, McCauley saved well to stop Hall with the last kick of the half.
Ben McCauley gets his fingertips to a shot
Click Above Image To View Full Size
The second half saw a United team with a lot more purpose come out. Substitute Conor McCloskey and McMurray both had shots that failed to hit the target in the opening 15 minutes. On 63 minutes, United couldn't have went closer as Willie Faulkner's shot came back at him off the post. In between another Faulkner effort that went too high, Bradley went for the spectacular after trying to lob McCauley from all of 35 yards, but his attempt went just over the bar.
Ballymena brought on Neil Lowry who should've done better with an effort which hit the side netting, before testing Tuffey with a tame shot. As United went after a consolation goal, two late counter attacks brought two goals for the hosts. First, on 81 minutes, Bradley broke free and fired home past McCauley from the edge of the box for his second of the afternoon. And with 1 minute left of the 90, Glenavon again broke forward and got past the Sky Blue defence with Greg Moorhouse delivering the finish to round off a disappointing day for Ballymena.
Eoin Bradley celebrates his second goal of the afternoon
Click Above Image To View Full Size
Ballymena United host Ards on Tuesday in the Quarter Final of the Toals Co Antrim Shield, kicking off at 7:45pm.
Match Report by Phillip McPeake
Ballymena United Team:
Ben McCauley, Tony Kane, Kyle Owens ( 6), Gary Thompson ( 26 Conor McCloskey 46 54), Allan Jenkins, Willie Faulkner, Cathair Friel ( Neil Lowry 70), Daniel Wallace, Jim Ervin, Johnny McMurray ( Eoin Kane 88), Caolan Loughran.

Subs not used: Johnny Flynn, Denver Gage.